My dad particularly loved this casserole, which has been a family favorite for over 60 years. It’s just a simple, hearty combination of ground beef, potatoes and kidney beans. Both my husband and I grew up on farms in the Midwest, where lots of cattle are raised and lots of beef used in recipes.
Recommended: The 99 Most American Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the potatoes, beans, soup, parsley, chili powder if desired, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hamburger Hot Dish in Country February/March 2006, p51
Reviews forSimple Hamburger Hot Dish
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 9, 2012
"It does have a "farm" feel to it. Fills you up fast. Cozy."