"Simple-as-can-be" best describes this hearty cold soup from Chris Brooks of Prescott, Arizona. "You just chop and combine the ingredients, then chill," she advises. "It tastes great with crunchy croutons or breadsticks."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 can (46 ounces) vegetable juice
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours before serving. Serve cold.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 52 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Gazpacho in Crafting Traditions Premiere 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.