Whipping cream and a touch of nutmeg and cayenne adds richness and spice to this classic side dish. Make this your easy go-to for entertaining or formal dinners.
Recommended: 50 Easy Side Dishes Perfect for Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash each ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain and squeeze dry.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Add seasonings and spinach; heat through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Simple Creamed Spinach in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews forSimple Creamed Spinach
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2015
"I substituted a 5 oz can of evaporated milk (NOT sweetened condensed) & it was very good with fewer calories & fat"