Simple Bananas Foster
For an elegant ending to a meal, I prepare this dessert. It is fast and easy to prepare.—Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/8 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/8 teaspoon butter flavoring or vanilla extract
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- vanilla ice cream or low-fat frozen yogurt
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and pie spice. Stir in the apple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts and flavorings. Add bananas and heat through over medium heat. Serve warm over ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 79 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Simple Bananas Foster in Quick Cooking November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.