- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSimple Au Gratin Potatoes
"Tasty. It was easy to make. Make sure to rinse the potatoes. I can see adding things in it like mushrooms or peas etc."
"Can I do everything but the baking the day before or will that screw up cheese?"
"This is a great recipe that can be tweaked for your personal taste. I have altered the cheeses and generally add paprika on top."
"Tweeked this by adding Mexican cheese mix and smoked paprika....awesome!"
"I used a 30 oz bag of hashbrowns, doubled the sauce, don't use more than 1 1/2 tp salt for doubled sauce recipe. Super simple and oh so good!!!!"
"Outstanding! I halved this recipe but otherwise stuck to the ingredients and directions. Came out great. I was amazed how such basic ingredients like this could come together so nicely. Highly recommend this!!"
"Delicious! Only next time I will cut back on the salt by half."