My family and friends love this soup and think I spend hours making it, but the most time spent is on occasional stirring. —Kathryn Labat, Raceland, Louisiana
Recommended: 50 Recipes We're Cooking Right Now
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Salad croutons, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Stir in vegetables and seasonings; cook until vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pot and heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream and croutons.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight (soup may separate). In a saucepan, reheat to boiling, whisking until blended. Yield: 12 servings (about 2 quarts).
Originally published as Simple Asparagus Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p25