Silence of the Yams
The adobo sauce gives just enough heat to make this a unique yam dish. It is delicious and is a perfect orange color for a Halloween gathering.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds medium sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sauce from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 red chili peppers, optional
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Arrange potato slices in overlapping rings in an ungreased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and cream until smooth; add the adobo sauce, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over potatoes.
- Cut a mouth, eyes and nose from red peppers to resemble a Jack-o'-lantern face; place over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Originally published as Silence of the Yams in Halloween Party Favorites 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.