Sicilian Potato Salad
Fresh basil is the star of this mayo-free, Italian-inspired take on potato salad. —Sue Falk, Warren, Michigan
- 10 small russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium cucumbers, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. Place potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water. Pat dry.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add beans; cook, uncovered, just until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain; immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 3. Peel and cube potatoes; sprinkle with remaining salt and the pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and 3/4 cup basil leaves. Whisk together oil, vinegar and garlic. Drizzle over vegetables; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
3/4 cup: 96 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Oct 12, 2018I was skeptical of leaving the potatoes unpeeled, but it turned out perfect! So many awesome textures and flavors in this one.
Jul 29, 2018Had to try this recipe ,so I did. Excellent !!! Full of flavor. Thanks for the recipe. I miss warren Michigan , lived there for 35 years.?
Jul 2, 2018This recipe looks delicious!
Jul 1, 2018Had this delicious, perfect for summer, salad last night. I substituted diced, steamed al dente sweet potato for the russet potatoes. Otherwise, I made it as directed. Loved the variety of vegetables. The dressing was easy to make and seasoned the mix nicely. Definitely a keeper!
Jun 13, 2018Out of this world!!!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC