For a casual holiday lunch or supper, you'll have a guaranteed winner with this stacked-high, Italian-style sandwich. I like the convenience of assembling it a day in advance. —Pat Powell, Wooster, Ohio
Featured In: 23 Favorite Italian Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1 jar (16 ounces) roasted sweet red pepper strips, drained
- 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
- Cut loaf of bread in half; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- In a small bowl, combine the olives, parsley, oil, oregano, vinegar, garlic, pepper and pepper flakes. Spoon half into bread shell. Layer with pepperoncini, salami, cheese, roasted peppers, pepperoni and remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top.
- Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Cut into eight wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sicilian Overstuffed Sandwich Wedges in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p101