VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Romano cheese
- Additional chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, brown sausages on all sides, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add water. Cook, covered, 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from pan; cut sausage into bite-size pieces. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream and butter until blended. Stir in mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, fennel seed, garlic, salt, pepper and cooked sausage. Drain pasta and add to cheese mixture immediately; toss to coat.
- Spoon mixture into eight greased 10-oz. ramekins. Sprinkle with Romano cheese. Transfer ramekins to baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Sprinkle with additional basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sicilian Mac & Cheese in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p240