VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 miniature croissants, split
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 4 scoops pistachio gelato
- 12 maraschino cherries, divided
- 1/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- In a microwave, melt shortening and 1/3 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Toast croissants. Spread cut sides of croissants with Nutella. Place a scoop of gelato on croissant bottoms. Slice eight cherries; arrange over gelato. Replace croissant tops.
- In a shallow bowl, combine pistachios and remaining chocolate chips. Press into sides of sandwiches. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Top each with a cherry. Place on a baking sheet; freeze for at least 1 hour. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sicilian Ice Cream Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012, p46