Sicilian Ice Cream Sandwiches
Chocolate, Nutella, pistachios and cherries come together to create this Sicily-inspired ice cream dessert. —Matthew Hass, Franklin, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 miniature croissants, split
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 4 scoops pistachio gelato
- 12 maraschino cherries, divided
- 1/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- In a microwave, melt shortening and 1/3 cup chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Toast croissants. Spread cut sides of croissants with Nutella. Place a scoop of gelato on croissant bottoms. Slice eight cherries; arrange over gelato. Replace croissant tops.
- In a shallow bowl, combine pistachios and remaining chocolate chips. Press into sides of sandwiches. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Top each with a cherry. Place on a baking sheet; freeze for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 ice cream sandwich: 695 calories, 42g fat (18g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Sicilian Ice Cream Sandwich in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.