VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 large Granny Smith apples
- 16 whole cloves
- 1 gallon apple cider
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and salt; set aside. Peel apples. Cut each apple from the stem to the blossom end; discard seeds and core. Using a sharp knife, carefully carve a face on the rounded side of each apple half. After carving, dip each apple in lemon juice mixture for 1 minute. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange apple heads on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 250° for 2 hours or until apples begin to dry and shrink and are lightly browned on the edges. Cool on a wire rack. Insert cloves for eyes. Store in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, combine cider and lemonade in a punch bowl. Float shrunken apple heads in cider. Yield: about 1 gallon.
Originally published as Shrunken Apple Heads in Citrus Cider in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun Annual 2006, p8