"Here in the Southwest, anything with green chilies is sure to please," notes Terry Thompson of Albuquerque, New Mexico. "And these shrimp-and-cheese appetizers are not exception. You can alter the amount of chilies according to your taste."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 18 slices white bread
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup diced cooked shrimp
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 18 whole small cooked shrimp
- With a rolling pin, flatten bread to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter, cut out a circle from each slice. (Save scraps for another use.) Spritz both sides of circles with butter-flavored spray. Press into ungreased miniature muffin cups. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, chilies, diced shrimp and onion; spoon into cups. Top with whole shrimp and paprika. Broil 5-6 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 60 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 meat.
Originally published as Shrimp Tartlets in Taste of Home December/January 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.