Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe
I began making these egg rolls in college in my Food Science course, and I have made them countless times since with my own student. For best results, make sure the filling is cool before placing it into wrappers and the oil is hot—the egg rolls should sizzle when put into oil. —Laura Bakker, Omaha, Nebraska
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- SPRING ROLLS:
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 egg roll or Chinese spring roll wrappers (6-8 inches)
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and bouillon granules. Whisk in water and vinegar until smooth. Add the green pepper, pimientos, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt. Stir in soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil until shrimp turns pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 4. Stir-fry the cabbage, mushrooms, water chestnuts and carrot in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender.
- 5. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp and green onions; set aside to cool.
- 6. With one corner of egg roll wrapper facing you, place 1/3 cup shrimp mixture just below center of wrapper. Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use. Fold bottom corner over filling. Moisten remaining edges of wrapper with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll spring roll up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
- 7. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry spring rolls, a few at a time, for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce. Yield: 1 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Reviews for Shrimp Spring Rolls
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC