Shrimp Skewers with Asian Quinoa Recipe
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1-3/4 cups frozen broccoli, carrots and water chestnuts, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine the water, quinoa and 1/3 cup vinegar mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Stir in vegetables. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, on four metal or soaked wooden skewers, thread shrimp. If grilling the shrimp, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- 3. Grill shrimp, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, basting frequently with remaining vinegar mixture and turning once. Serve with quinoa. Yield: 4 servings.
1 skewer with 3/4 cup quinoa: 348 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Shrimp Skewers with Asian Quinoa
"the shrimp is fabulous and quick to make. The quinoa is much better with fresh instead of frozen ingredients... but frozen will do."