Shrimp & Shiitake Stir-Fry with Crispy Noodles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small head bok choy
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chow mein noodles
- Hot cooked brown rice, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and soy sauce until smooth; set aside. Cut off and discard root end of bok choy, leaving stalks with leaves. Cut leaves from stalks. Slice leaves; set aside. Slice stalks.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in 1 tablespoon oil until shrimp turn pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the ginger, garlic and pepper flakes in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add the onion, mushrooms and bok choy stalks; stir-fry for 4 minutes. Add bok choy leaves; stir-fry 2-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add shrimp; heat through. Sprinkle with chow mein noodles. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Aug 6, 2013
Great flavors. I did use the cashews instead of crispy rice noodles. I agree with other reviewers that this took way too long to make. Prep was closer to an hour for me, so I doubt I'll be making it again.
Apr 26, 2012
It takes a long time to make this.
Aug 12, 2011
Could not find Bok Choy at our grocers the day I prepared this dish, so substituted celery and spinach. Delicious!! Its definitely a keeper!! Also added some water chestnuts and snowpeas for extra vegetables.
Apr 15, 2011
wasn't a huge fan of the shitake mushrooms next time I will probably it with regular mushrooms
Apr 2, 2011
Fast, easy, deliscious!
Apr 1, 2011
I did add roasted cashews. This is an excellent dish.
Mar 17, 2011
Easy, economical, and oh, so delicious. My family loves this dish.
Jul 19, 2010
This wasn't our favorite. I was glad I prepped all the veggies the night before. That was a time saver for me.
Jun 13, 2010
Excellent, we just love it. Very Easy to prepare.
Apr 7, 2010
This is one of the best meals I have ever had. All the spices and flavors combined to make a gourmet dish. Second time around, I omitted the shrimp and added extra garlic. This would be just as tasty with chicken instead of shrimp. I used twice the broth both times because we like it juicy! Thank you so much to the gentleman who submitted this recipe - we'll be having it often.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.