VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 medium lemons
- 1 package (5 ounces) frozen cooked salad shrimp, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 12 sprigs fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; whisk in mayonnaise. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until partially set.
- Cut lemons in half; juice lemons, reserving 3 tablespoons juice (save remaining juice for another use). Scoop out and discard pulp. With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice off the bottom of each lemon basket so it sits flat; set aside.
- Set aside 2 dozen shrimp for garnish; chop remaining shrimp. In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, olives, sugar, horseradish, salt, paprika and reserved lemon juice; fold into gelatin mixture. Fold in chopped shrimp and whipped cream.
- Spoon into lemon baskets. Garnish with parsley and reserved shrimp. Chill until set. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Shrimp Salad Lemon Baskets in Country Woman June/July 2009, p40