Shrimp Mac & Cheese Salad
My mother had a recipe similar to this one, but lost it, and no one could find the original recipe. After an exhaustive search on the internet, I decided to re-create the salad from memory. Mom thinks I did a pretty good job! —Daphne DeLaney, Lake Waccamaw, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickle
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Add macaroni; stir to coat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- In another large bowl, combine the shrimp, onion, red pepper, mayonnaise, celery, pickle, salt and pepper. Fold in cooled macaroni mixture; cover and chill. Serve on lettuce.