Shrimp Mac & Cheese Salad
My mother had a recipe similar to this one, but lost it, and no one could find the original recipe. After an exhaustive search on the internet, I decided to re-create the salad from memory. Mom thinks I did a pretty good job! —Daphne DeLaney, Lake Waccamaw, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked medium shrimp, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickle
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove pan from heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Add macaroni; stir to coat. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- In another large bowl, combine the shrimp, onion, red pepper, mayonnaise, celery, pickle, salt and pepper. Fold in cooled macaroni mixture; cover and chill. Serve on lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 345 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Shrimp and Macaroni and Cheese Salad in Taste of Home A+ Recipes from Schools Across America RTL 2013