Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
Lettuce forms a crispy shell that's full of possibilities, depending on what's in your fridge. Swap shrimp for cooked chicken, pork or tofu. Mix in any veggies you want: carrots, broccoli, snow peas and chopped zucchini are all fantastic add-ins. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 medium carrots
- 6 green onions
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, mix the first 6 ingredients. Using a vegetable peeler, shave carrots lengthwise into very thin strips. Slice white parts of green onions; cut each green top in half lengthwise.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; stir-fry until pink. Remove from pan.
- Stir-fry red pepper and carrots in remaining oil 4 minutes. Add white parts of onions; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add 1/3 cup soy sauce mixture to pan. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp; heat through. Place 1/4 cup rice on each lettuce leaf; top with 1/2 cup shrimp mixture. Drizzle with remaining soy sauce mixture and roll up. Tie each with a green onion strip.
Nutrition Facts2 lettuce wraps: 306 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 777mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Shrimp Lettuce Wrap with Dipping Sauce in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014