Shrimp Fried Rice Quesadillas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 slices pepper Jack cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- In a small skillet, saute the shrimp, onion and peppers in 1 tablespoon butter until shrimp turn pink; remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter until hot. Add egg; cook and stir over medium heat until egg is completely set. Stir in the rice, soy sauce and shrimp mixture.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each tortilla. Place tortillas butter side down, on a griddle. Place a slice of cheese on each tortilla. Sprinkle shrimp mixture over half of each tortilla. Fold over and cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 511 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 242mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Aug 13, 2016
This was an interesting take on the traditional quesadilla. I did make a few very small changes. Instead of butter for the first step, I sauteed the onion, peppers, and shrimp in sesame oil. I also didn't use a full 1 tbsp of butter in the second step. We used shredded cheddar instead of the pepper jack slices. Lastly, we have a quesadilla press, so we put ours in that. Seem to come out pretty well. I agree that it needed something extra. We tried dipping our quesadilla in Old Bay and also tried soy sauce. They both were good but brought out different tastes. I think I liked the Old Bay better. This is an excellent recipe if you have leftover Chinese takeout and don't know what to do with it. We will most likely make this again.
Jun 29, 2013
Sooo good! We didn't have shrimp, but I used lump crab and added 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning. Worked great. Will try it with shrimp next time around.
Jun 13, 2013
These were so delicious! I didn't have a green pepper at home, so I used a yellow and red. I also added a little Creole seasoning to the mix and they turned out perfect. I can't wait to make them again.
Nov 21, 2011
Very quick and very tasty too! Tricia C.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.