- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 9 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- SWEET 'N' SOUR SAUCE:
- 1 can (12 ounces) apricot cake and pastry filling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute celery in butter until tender. Add shrimp and onions; cook until shrimp turns pink. Stir in the water chestnuts, peanut butter, salt, sugar, pepper and cayenne; heat through.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of shrimp mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Combine sauce ingredients; serve with egg rolls. Yield: 9 egg rolls (2 cups sauce).
Reviews forShrimp Egg Roll
"This is a very good recipe my family loves it. I think that it taste better then the egg rolls that I get at the chinese fast food."
"Have not made them yet. But they sound YUMMY, can't wait to try them."