Years ago, when we visited relatives on the eastern coast of North Carolina, they served this dish. I asked for the recipe and it became one of our favorite meals. -Edna Boothe, Richmond, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato sauce, oregano and bay leaf. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp; cook 3 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 1163mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Shrimp Creole in Reminisce September/October 2002