Shrimp Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked small shrimp
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the onion, milk, soups, corn, Creole seasoning and garlic powder.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir in shrimp and cream cheese. Cook 30 minutes longer or until shrimp are heated through and cheese is melted. Stir to blend. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 202 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 169mg cholesterol, 745mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Shrimp Chowder
"I agree with all the other reviewers, this is an AMAZING soup. I had cooked, tail-on shrimp in the freezer that I wanted to use up so I cut off the tails and chopped up the shrimp, but I didn't have two pounds worth so I added 2 cans of crab meat instead. AWESOME! I intend to make it that way all the time!"
"This is wonderful !!!! I took others advise and diced a large potato , boiled it while the onions were cooking . I added a little more creole seasoning as we like thing very spicy . I also used 1 cream of shrimp and 1 cream of potato soup . I can not brag on this enough !!!! Can't wait for another potluck dinner at our club , I will have to double or triple the recipe !!!!"
"This was so yummy! I just added more potato because we love potatoes. I will definitely keep and use this recipe. Huge hit with family."
"I have made this soup twice in the last month - my husband likes it so much he requested it again this week. I think I'll try the suggestion of adding some potatoes next time. Liked the addition of the recipe for the Creole seasoning also so I didn't have to buy something I wouldn't use all that often."
"Simple to make.warm to enjoy. Clean up simple. EXCELLENT"
"This was so easy and delicious! According to the nutritional information it has only 5 weight watcher points per serving....shocking because it tasted so rich! I will definitely make this again."
"Really good and so easy to make!!"
"Fantastic! I made half the portion and threw it into the crock pot all at once put it on high for an hour and half and the family loved it. They ate the whole batch."
"We do soup suppers often at our church and I am always looking for something new. This is not only rich and wonderful tasting, but it is also easy to throw into the crock pot. I've taken it 3 times and people rave about it every time and ask for the recipe. Thank you for this great recipe. Taste of Home, I rely on you and you never disappoint! The first time I made it, the cream cheese didn't melt well, so I just blend a bit of the soup into the softened cheese and then add it."
"Thick, hearty and rich. Loved by all and was gone in no time!!!"
"Wow! This went together in no time and my husband practically swooned over it!! The creole seasoning gave it just a hint of "kick"--I will definitely be making this again!!"
"I made this Shrimp Chowder over the weekend and took it to work for friends to sample today. Word passed quickly and it was gone in no time. It was that popular. No one could believe how something that rich could be so easy to make.SandyD4321"