Shrimp & Chicken Sausage with Grits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 3 fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links (3 ounces each), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped, divided
- 4 teaspoons whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and half of the green onions; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in shrimp and sausage; cook for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with grits; top with tomato and remaining green onion.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup shrimp mixture with 3/4 cup grits: 367 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 18, 2013
Made this with rice instead of grits. It needed more flour to thicken and it was a bit bland. I added a tablespoon of Take 5 UMAMI Paste. It was easy and I would definitely make it again.
Feb 17, 2013
Fantastic! This was a big success with the family. I think it will become our Fat Tuesday tradition. Only two problems - the grits I used needed an extra cup of water. Once I added more water, it was fine. Also, my sauce wouldn't thicken up with the whole wheat flour. I finally added a tablespoon of white flour and it came right together. Very, very good! Can't wait to make it again.