Shrimp and Plum Salad
Fruit pairs beautifully with seafood in this refreshing main-dish salad from our Test Kitchen. Served with a sweet-spicy Asian dressing, it’s ideal for a fancy lunch or a light summer supper.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large fresh plums, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in the shrimp, plums, cucumber, cilantro, onion and jalapeno. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, ginger, chili sauce and garlic; shake well. Pour over shrimp mixture and toss to coat. Serve over salad greens.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 377 calories, 14g fat (1g saturated fat), 172mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Shrimp and Plum Salad Wraps in Light & Tasty June/July 2007