Fruit pairs beautifully with seafood in this refreshing main-dish salad from our Test Kitchen. Served with a sweet-spicy Asian dressing, it’s ideal for a fancy lunch or a light summer supper.
Recommended: 23 Spring Salad Ideas That’ll Up Your Veggie Game
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large fresh plums, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in the shrimp, plums, cucumber, cilantro, onion and jalapeno. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, ginger, chili sauce and garlic; shake well. Pour over shrimp mixture and toss to coat. Serve over salad greens. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Shrimp and Plum Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2007, p57