Shrimp and Asparagus Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen asparagus cuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup more cream or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/2 cup buttered soft bread crumbs
- On stove top or in a microwave oven, blanch asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cream; cook until thickened. Stir in wine (or substitute). Season with salt and pepper. Stir in beaten egg yolk, cheese and shrimp.
- In a buttered 2-1/2-qt. casserole, arrange half the asparagus; pour on half the sauce. Repeat layers. Top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 294 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 229mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Jun 7, 2011
It was really good! I served over angel hair pasta and also used fresh asparagus.
Feb 27, 2010
This was fantastic, I used fresh asparagus and served it over angel hair pasta. This is creamy decadence. Everyone wanted more.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.