Shrimp 'n' Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, picante sauce, cumin and basil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Add shrimp; simmer 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 190 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Shrimp 'n' Black Bean Chili
"I thought this was tasty. I added 2 cloves of minced garlic and a can of chopped green chilies for an extra pop of flavor."
"tasty but ore like a sauce and not a chile"
"I have a big family all picky eaters and this was a hit in there mouths so its now our special of the month dish."
"This chili is GREAT! I would make it again. It is spicy if you utilize a spicy picante sauce. Awesome receipe Thanks"
"Hubby and I absolutely loved this recipe when I made it from one of ToH's cookbooks. It's especially good with orange pepper instead of green, and it makes a great meatless dish. Substitute vegetable broth for a true vegetarian dish. I'm bringing it (sans shrimp) to the potluck Christmas party for hubby's Army battalion."