Shredded Italian Pork Sandwiches
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 3 hours
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 2 cups soaked wood chips, optional
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- Roasted sweet red pepper halves, fresh basil leaves and balsamic vinaigrette, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, oil, basil, salt, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Open roast; place fat side down so it lies flat. Spread garlic mixture evenly over meat. Close roast; tie several times with kitchen string. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan with 1 in. of water. Add 1 cup of soaked wood chips to grill if desired. Grill roast, covered, over medium-low heat for 2 hours, adding remaining wood chips after 1 hour.
- Wrap roast in a double thickness of aluminum foil. Return to grill over indirect medium heat. Cover and grill for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Carefully open foil to let steam escape. When cool enough to handle, shred meat. Serve on rolls with roasted peppers, basil and vinaigrette if desired.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 370 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as BBQ Italian Pork Shoulder in Backyard Living May/June 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.