VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3 pounds)
- 2 cups soaked wood chips, optional
- 8 kaiser rolls, split
- Roasted sweet red pepper halves, fresh basil leaves and balsamic vinaigrette, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, oil, basil, salt, oregano, rosemary and pepper. Untie and open roast; place fat side down so it lies flat. Spread garlic mixture evenly over meat. Close roast and tie with kitchen string. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan with 1 in. of water. If desired, add 1 cup of soaked wood chips to grill. Grill roast, covered, over medium-low heat for 2 hours, adding remaining wood chips after 1 hour.
- Wrap roast in a double thickness of aluminum foil. Return to grill over indirect medium heat. Cover and grill for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Carefully open the foil. When cool enough to handle, shred meat. Serve on rolls with roasted peppers, basil and vinaigrette if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Shredded Italian Pork Sandwiches in Backyard Living May/June 2006, p24