Shredded Gingered Brussels Sprouts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (about 5-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim Brussels sprouts. Cut sprouts lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into thin slices.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts; cook and stir until sprouts begin to brown lightly, 2-3 minutes. Add oil and toss to coat. Stir in onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Add water; reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in pepper.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 56 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Dec 27, 2018
Not a fan of this. I much prefer simple Brussel sprouts with butter and salt
Jun 5, 2018
So good! This is our favorite way to make brussel sprouts. Mine don't brown (use hard anodized pan) but I guess that doesn't matter. I leave out the salt and it's still good! We've also tried the curry variation - also a winner. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. This is our new favorite recipe and we have it once a week or more. Can't wait to try other variations.
Jan 23, 2018
So easy and delicious. I used bermuda onion because it was what I had on hand, and microplaned my ginger because it was frozen. Definitely going to be a menu staple from now on!
Dec 5, 2017
Used scallions instead of white onion and finished it off with some balsamic glaze!
Apr 27, 2017
This was a nice change from my normal Brussels sprouts. It was easy to make and a good mix of flavors.
Feb 16, 2016
So very tasty. Such a different taste than just plain ole brussels sprouts. A new family fav.
Feb 6, 2016
Always looking for ways to get those veggies in--this is a great recipe! The shredding added a whole new taste dimension.
Jan 11, 2016
This is an excellent, healthy side dish! I ended up using too much ginger, which I will be sure to not do in the future. The Chinese students I host loved the strong ginger flavor, but it was overbearing for the rest of us. Stick to the recipe as is - it's a winner!
Nov 14, 2015
Great flavor profile. I was confused over the directions, and I sauteed the Brussels Sprouts in the oil instead of in a dry pan. I will make these again, for sure.
Sep 19, 2014
One of the best Brussels sprout recipes I've ever eaten.