- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts (about 5-1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim Brussels sprouts. Cut sprouts lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into thin slices.
- Place a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts; cook and stir until sprouts begin to brown lightly, 2-3 minutes. Add oil and toss to coat. Stir in onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Add water; reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in pepper.
Test Kitchen tips
3/4 cup: 56 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.