Shredded Chicken Gyros
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 whole pita breads
- Toppings: tzatziki sauce, torn romaine and sliced tomato, cucumber and onion
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine first nine ingredients; add chicken. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender (a thermometer should read at least 165°).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred with two forks; return to slow cooker. Using tongs, place chicken mixture on pita breads. Serve with toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 gyro (calculated without toppings): 337 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Apr 9, 2018
We added this item on to the menu at work and it is a really big hit. The chicken is super moist and everyone loved the recipe. We have had it on a few times now and offer it up as a catering meal as well.
Jan 22, 2016
Annaf27-lemon,oregano,olive oil, vinegar-is plenty Greek. You have never been there, and aren't Greek yourself, I assume. Not all Greek cuisine uses those elements, but many do. A good recipe, and yes, I there is room for a little adjustment for personal tastes. That's is part of the delight of cooking. Greek-American, yes. "Absolutely nothing Greek about it"? Not true.
Aug 18, 2015
Excellent! I loved the lemon flavor, the chicken was very moist (we cooked it 2.5 hours) . I did add a little salt like a previous reviewer did.
Feb 1, 2015
Lemon chicken. That should have been the title for this recipe. It wasn't bad, but there was absolutely nothing Greek about it. We won't be making this recipe again.
Jan 14, 2015
This is great! I add Greek Seasoning to mine and serve it with lemon potato wedges. This is one of my family's favorite dishes. Leftovers freeze well.
Jan 12, 2015
This was delish! Go heavy on a good nonfat tzatziki sauce. I did add a little salt. We enjoyed the leftovers on a big salad.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.