Shredded Beef ‘n’ Slaw Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-3/4 hours
- 4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 30 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, bring beef and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until tender.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon; shred with two forks and set aside. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, horseradish, mustard and salt. Add shredded beef and cabbage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Spoon 1/3 cup onto each sandwich bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 322 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 831mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 9, 2014
This recipe has a bitter undertone from the cabbage that just didn't find appealing. The relatively sweet sauce was not enough to balance this out. I don't think I would recommend it.
Oct 23, 2013
Mar 27, 2010
MADE THIS TODAY.NOW I WILL USE PORK TO REPLACE THE BEEF.
Mar 25, 2010
I used this recipe a couple of years ago for my son's birthday party and he doesn't like cabbage but raved about the sandwiches. They were a hit with all the guests and this is a wonderful recipe for a crowd.
May 3, 2008
Was pretty good, but we still prefer shredded/pulled pork.