Make your next office party a taco bar or burrito bar! Set out the beef in the slow cooker on warm, along with tortillas, bowls of shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, and chopped lettuce, jalapenos, onions and tomatoes. For a variation, I make Beef & Bean burritos by mixing a can of refried beans into 3 or 4 cups of cooked beef filling. &emdash;Hope Wasylenki, Gahanna, Ohio
Recommended: 60 All-Day Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa verde
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine beef and broth. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove meat; discard juices. When cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and jalapenos; cook and stir until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in crushed tomatoes and salsa; bring to a boil. Pour mixture over shredded beef; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on high until heated through, about 1 hour.
- Using tongs, serve on tortillas for burritos or tacos; add toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings
Originally published as Shredded Beef Burrito Filling in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2017, p18