- 1 boneless beef sirloin tip roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup each ketchup and water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides over medium-high heat; drain. Transfer roast to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the ketchup, water, onion, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, celery seed and chili powder; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; shred with two forks and return to slow cooker. Spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each roll. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forShredded Beef Barbecue
"So, so, SO good! I ended up using a couple pork steaks since I was out of roasts, and they didn't disappoint! Shredded very nicely, I think I may omit the water next time as other reviewers mentioned doing, there was quite a bit of excess liquid. Otherwise, this was absolutely amazing! The house smelled great when I got home from work after this had sat in the slow cooker all day - it reminded me of grandma's house growing up, she must have used this recipe since I know she was a Taste of Home fan as well!"
"I did not have time to brown the roast beforehand. Cooked all day and turned out fabulous - perfect bbq flavor for my family & they loved it! Very easy to shred. I did omit water, too."
"disappointing. did not really have much of a bbq flavor. it did shred nicely but we had to add bbq sauce to the sandwich to make it tasty."
"This is tasty! I don't use any of the water called for in this recipe."