"My family and friends love this great tasting lasagna," writes Cindy Moore of Rhinelander, Wisconsin. "The recipe is almost foolproof. Best of all, there's no need to precook the noodles."
Recommended: 38 Make-Ahead Meals for Your Busy Family
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Crumble the sausage into a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover; microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring once; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, onion, green pepper, water, olives and salt.
- In a greased 11x7-in. microwave-safe dish, layer 1-1/3 cups meat sauce, three noodles, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and microwave at 70% power for 21-24 minutes or until noodles are tender. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45-60 seconds or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Shortcut Lasagna in Quick Cooking July/August 2004