Shortcut Brunswick Stew
—Eva Still, Crescent, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 bacon strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; with a slotted remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the soup, 1-1/4 cups water, Worcestershire sauce and pepper; bring to a boil. Add beans and corn; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Crumble bacon; add to stew. Stir in chicken. Combine cornstarch with the remaining water; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 395 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 628mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Shortcut Brunswick Stew in Country Woman January/February 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.