Shortcut Bread Mix
Versatile is the word for this terrific time-saving mix from Lois Fleming of Monroeville, Pennsylvania. It's the basis for a dough that can be baked into a tender loaf of lightly sweet bread or shaped into 18 delicious dinner rolls. It's also used to make the other two tasty recipes on this page.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- BREAD MIX:
- 5 pounds all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 7-1/2 teaspoons salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC LOAF:
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) quick-rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine bread mix ingredients with a wire whisk. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 20 cups (enough to make about 5 basic loaves or Cinnamon Nut Loaves or 10 Homemade Pizza crusts).
- To prepare a basic loaf: In a bowl, combine 1 cup bread mix and yeast. Add water, egg and butter; beat until smooth. Stir in 2-1/2 to 3 cups additional bread mix to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into a loaf; place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Place a heat-proof bowl on work surface; fill half full with boiling water. Cover bowl with a baking sheet.
- Place loaf pan on baking sheets; cover and let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.