Shortcake for 50
Folks are always impressed to see these individual shortcakes on the buffet table. They're surprisingly easy to make.—Clara Honeyager, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 10-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 8 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 2-1/4 cups sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in cream and water just until moistened.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine berries and remaining sugar.
- To serve, cut shortcakes horizontally; spoon about 1/3 cup berries and whipped cream on bottom halves. Replace tops; top with another 1/3 cup of berries and additional cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Shortcake for 50 in Taste of Home August/September 1998