These buttery shortbread cookie ornaments are almost too pretty to eat! You can use cookie cutters in shapes of your choice. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Colored edible glitter and nonpareils
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water and extracts until mixture forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, whisk the confectioners' sugar and milk. Divide into small bowls; tint with food coloring if desired. Gently spread over cookies. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Shortbread Ornament Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p80
Reviews for Shortbread Ornament Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review