Shortbread Hearts Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 pound dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water and extract until mixture forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 13-16 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Dip one side of cookies in candy coating; place on waxed paper until set. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 171 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 83mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Shortbread Hearts
"I love these! They've become a tradition for Valentine's Day."
"Made these cookies for Valentine's Day when the recipe was first published on TOH. It became my daughter's favorite cookie. Everyone else loved them, too. I am getting ready to make them for the family for Valentine's Day again this year. Yummy!"