- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water, divided
- 15 pitted dried plumbs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown the meat in oil over medium heat. REmove meat; keep warm. Add onion to the drippings. Saute onion until tender, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits; drain. Add the salt, browning sauce if desired, pepper, 3/4 cup water and dried plums. Bring to a boil; return meat to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove meat; keep warm.
- Skim fat from the pan. Combine the cornstarch and the remaining water until smooth. Stir into pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thicken. Serve with ribs and rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forShort Ribs with Plums
"The recipe wisely states to skim the fat from the pan after cooking the meat. Short ribs don't always look all that fatty, which is probably why I forgot to do that important step. So, if you make this remember to skim so your sauce won't be too greasy. The flavor was nice and not too sweet and I'm sure it's very good as written."