Shoofly Coffee Cake
A sugar crumb topping lends to this moist coffee cake's appeal. The rich molasses flavor really shines through. Slices are good served warm or at room temperature.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups buttermilk pancake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the pancake mix, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside 1/3 cup for topping. In another bowl, combine milk and molasses. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a small bowl, combine sugar and reserved pancake mix mixture. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Shoofly Coffee Cake in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.