My husband and I love all varieties of Asian cuisine. One of our favorite things to order for an appetizer when we go out for Thai food is chicken satay skewers with spicy peanut sauce. This is a fun variation on the skewers, a chicken slider that is moist and flavorful with the addition of chopped shiitake mushrooms, topped with the spicy-sweet peanut sauce and tangy cucumber slices. The patties can also be cooked indoors, either on an indoor grill pan or a skillet. The ground chicken can be replaced with ground pork, turkey or beef. —Julie Hession, Las Vegas, Nevada
Recommended: 20 Slider Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/4 cups thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- SPICY PEANUT SAUCE:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce or 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 18 dinner rolls, split and toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and sugar. Add cucumber and toss to coat; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in canola oil until tender. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, onions, salt, pepper flakes and mushrooms. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into 18 patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium heat until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the water, peanut butter, brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and chili sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Serve burgers on rolls with sauce and sliced cucumber. Yield: 18 sliders.
Originally published as Shiitake-Chicken Sliders in Taste of Home April/May 2018