Shiitake & Butternut Risotto
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup uncooked arborio rice
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine or 1/4 cup additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- Place squash in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Add 1 teaspoon oil and salt; toss to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a small skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add rice and pepper; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in wine. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. Add squash and sage. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 282 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 3, 2012
I can pretty much repeat all of the last comment down to the Seared Scallops with Citrus Herb Sauce. However, I didn't have a kitchen apprentice to stir for me and my risotto seemed a little dry. But still AMAZING! I will definitely make this again.
Nov 30, 2011
AMAZING!!! Followed the recipe exactly, and my 9 year old stirred the risotto while it cooked. I served this with Seared Scallops with Citrus & Herb Sauce, and it was one of the best meals I've had in a long while. Simply superb.