Shiitake and Manchego Scramble
This savory breakfast dish takes everyday scrambled eggs up a few notches. The rich flavor is so satisfying in the morning, and it's even better served with buttery toasted Italian bread. —Thomas Faglon, Somerset, New Jersey
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Manchego cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in horseradish; cook 2 minutes more.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and remaining olive oil. Pour into skillet; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 274 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 234mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as shitake and manchego frittata in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.