VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter and oil until tender. Remove from the heat; add the thyme, salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 14-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spoon mushroom mixture over the pastry to within 2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cheese.
Fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked tart until firm, then cover to store in freezer. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 375°. Place tart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Shiitake & Goat Cheese Rustic Tart in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p160