Sherried Sweet Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or just until tender. Drain; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the garlic, cumin, salt, ginger, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Add cream and sherry; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lime juice. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Garnish with cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 337 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 7, 2015
This recipe surprised me as to how very good it was. It sounded good with some interesting possibilities, but it was truly excellent! I couldn't find my cardamom and since it called for only 1/8 tsp., I made the recipe without it, but I discovered every ingredient added to its exquisite flavor, so I can't wait to make the recipe again with the cardamom. You may think the cilantro is only a garnish, but it truly added its own essential flavor, and putting it in the blender before serving is very important. I don't own an immersion blender, but it will be on my Christmas list this year. I rate this a 10 plus.