Sherbet-Filled Angel Food Cake
Here’s a cool way to treat angel food cake: Fill it with sherbet or ice cream. We finish this cake with a tart, sweet lime glaze. —Leah Rekau, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + freezing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 12 large egg whites (about 1-2/3 cups)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups raspberry sherbet or ice cream of your choice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix flour and 3/4 cup sugar until blended.
- Add seeds from vanilla bean (or extract if using), cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently transfer batter to an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack 45-55 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely in pan, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Using a serrated knife, cut a 1-in. slice off top of cake. Hollow out remaining cake, leaving a 1-in.-thick shell (save removed cake for another use). Fill tunnel with sherbet, mounding slightly; replace cake top. Wrap cake securely in plastic; freeze overnight.
- To serve, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, lime zest and enough lime juice to reach desired consistency. Unwrap cake; spread glaze over top, allowing some to drip down sides. Freeze until serving.
Editor's NoteTo remove the seeds from a vanilla bean, cut bean lengthwise in half with a sharp knife; scrape out the dark, pulpy seeds.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 193 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Vanilla Bean Angel Food Cake in Taste of Home April/May 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.